Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Local Diners and Overalls

In the heart of most every southern town is an almost daily "meeting of the minds".   

This morning as I sat eating breakfast in the company of good friends and strangers, I began to look around and take note.  Through the clatter of dishes, the laughter,  and  the old men arguing I began to see another tradition that seems to be fading away.    Almost daily, men and women gather around tables, booths, and counters all over the land to discuss the weather,  politics,  religion,  high school sports,  and  anything else that makes good gossip.   I  love it!  Often the faces of those who gather are wrinkled and worn, but sometimes they are pierced and tattooed.   Either way,  I guess they gather because they have learned the secret to  the local diner.   It is here that lies are told,  legends are made, and lives are filled. 





If you seldom take part in your local "meeting of the minds", maybe you should.  The topics may not be relevant,  the stories may not be be new, but one thing is for sure, the heartbeats of the ones there are much stronger when a new face takes interest in what they have to say.

Seek out your local diner. Spend a little time there in conversation with the old man in overalls,  with the kid wearing baggy pants,  with the guy in the cowboy hat, and don't forget to talk with the ones serving all this madness.  Whether you fit in with the late night after-ballgame crowd,  the early morning coffee sippers, or the lunchtime gathering,  it is at the local diner that you will find a wisdom deeper than the words that you will hear.  


I'm afraid  one of the biggest mistakes we make is assuming that others think the same way we think. Young or old,  we were made for interacting with each other.   It seems the less we get to know our neighbors,  the less we know ourselves.   


Just my ramblings for the day,  JEJ




Going out today!



Non nobis Domine



4 comments:

  1. Can you tell me more about the pocket knife of Jan. 4th? I found a similar knife while backpacking in Colorado and I'm on a mission to try to return it to its original owner. The Crest is missing from the handle and I'm trying to see if it would help identify the owner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The knife is from the 70's made by ideal knife company. They had a very popular knife called the "junior camper". There were many many other knives made during that time that were built almost identical. I wish you the best in finding the owne.

      Delete
  2. Where I live in the South now, there are few good diners (at least not unless you drive 10 miles or so). But when I lived in a small Michigan town of 7000, there were four great establishes like this and I miss ‘em.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice knife and I love a good diner.

    ReplyDelete

Oh the knives that have been lost through the years...

Since the post about " The kind of men who carry a pocket knife ", I have had a good bit of discussion about the pocket knife in t...